Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What do I do now?

So I finished my book a few weeks ago. YAY!!!!

But now I'm wondering, what the heck do I do now? Do I try to go the traditional route and send queries and synopses and first chapters to agents who get thousands of submissions a year, or do I go the new techy way and try to self promote and self publish and sell it for 99 cents a digital copy on amazon? Or do I say screw it and leave it on the shelf and move on to the next project and not even worry about publishing?

What do I want? Sometimes I say I want to be the Ani DiFranco of writing and start my own publishing house. Sometimes I want all the support that an agent provides. Sometimes I just want to share my work with family and wait til the right books comes out to try and publish.

Is this the right book to push? Should I wait to push the next one?

I have written a query letter that I like, but I really don't want to have to write a synopsis. Is it necessary? I don't know.

What do I want to do now?

I don't know.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about to query my YA novel. While big things are happening in self publishing and epublishing, I still dream of being traditionally published. So off the the giant slush piles I go.

    Yes, a synopsis is necessary. Not all agents ask for one. And not all agents who ask for one ask for a one pager. Some ask for two pages or three pages or more. Very frustrating indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd probably try the traditional route first. See what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Stina - good luck with querying! I dream of traditional publishing too. I want the support. I'm still working on that synopsis. It is sooo hard!

    @ Charles- good point. That is what I'm going to do. Shoot big first!

    ReplyDelete